12.10.06

Medical Mnemonics

Anatomy is my favorite subject in Medicine and these days I started my Surgery course so I got back to studying Anatomy again, it reminded me of the old good days 4 years ago when I was in the first year , Anatomy is what made me love Medicine because as you know I got to Med school without having much love for it ( read it here) , I used to have a lot fun studying Anatomy and memorizing all the contents of the body , we used to use shortcuts and mnemonics for things to remember them ,one of my favorite mnemonics is the one we used to memorise the carpal bones of the hand ( Scaphoid, Lunate, Triquetral, Pisiform, Trapezium, Trapezoid, Capitate, Hamate ), the Egyptian doctors were teaching us to memorise them with the Egyptian mnemonic

Sara Lama Til3ab PoKer Tiksab Tikhsar Kolo Hals
سارة لما تلعب بوكر تكسب تخسر كله هلس
but we had pur own Libyan mnemonic

Su3ad Lazim Tal3ib Batish ,Tarba7 Takhsir Kolha Hyaja
سعاد لازم تلعب بطش , تربح تخسر كلها هياجة

so it seems like nto all doctors have good memory but they just tend to make it simple for the brain to memorize things with simple medical mnemonics .

3 comments:

Lebeeya said...

This is my version of the mnemonic:

- Some Like To Pee Tomorrow Till Khalas Hangover

سم لأك تو بي تومورو تل خلاص هانع أوفر

I think my version is easier to memorize :)

I love Munich said...

That's a very good way to memorize!Good luck with you Surgery course!! :)

Hanu said...

Anatomy... Ugh! It's what got me out of Med school. I did pre-med, first year and then had it by the middle of the second year and quit. Glad i did :)

Good luck!